Three Reasons Your Candle Is Killing You

 

With the holidays around the corner, millions of people are finding new ways to share festive cheer with their loved ones. From handmade creations to store bought gifts, candles are one of the most common gifts to give friends and family.


However, most people don’t realize they are handing out toxic treats. Before you purchase or make a candle, check out these three reasons why your candle might be hurting someone.

 

1. Paraffin Wax

The type of wax your candle is made of is the first to consider since the solid wax will become one with your environment through the atmosphere. To understand the dangers of paraffin wax, it’s important to understand how it is made and where it comes from. Paraffin wax is the last by-product created from petroleum; after crude oil has been fractionated to make gasoline, the residue left is highly toxic gray dark sludge called Petroleum Wax. The industry assures us this wax is safe and non-toxic once the “refining” stage is complete. However, after the wax is bleached with industrial bleach and other chemical reagents, more harmful chemicals are added to the wax. One of these reagents is called “Acrolyn.” When burned, it releases carcinogenic (cancer causing) toxins such as benzene and toluene into the surroundings. A study by SC State University also confirms the emissions of these harmful chemicals. To sum it up, you’re burning the most toxic part of fossil fuels in your home. We stay away from paraffin wax completely and only use natural soy with beeswax. This allows for a clean burn but beeswax is also known for its purifying properties.

Source: http://www.scsu.edu/news_article.aspx?news_id=832

 

2. The Wick

Now that you’ve picked a candle with wax that won’t emit harmful toxins, discover the properties of the wick – or the string of the candle that’s burned to release your candle’s fragrance. We use 100% organic cotton wicks in our candles. However, many on the market contain wicks made from cotton and metals such as zinc, tin, and lead. Burning candles with lead can lead to lead poisoning. Children under the age of six are more instantly susceptible to lead poisoning. What you burn will linger in the air around

Source: http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/are-your-candles-emitting-toxins/


3. Phthalates

 Before we set out to design our own collection of homeopathic candles, we tested numerous popular candles on the market to understand what ingredients they used and why. Aside from learning of the “soy-blend” marketing terminology companies’ use to market hybrid paraffin-soy candles, we discovered a family of molecular compounds called Phthalates in many candles. They are known for their ability to damage the liver, kidneys, and lungs. When developing our unique scents, we blend natural fragrance oils free of phthalates with essential oils and absolutes.

Source: https://noharm-uscanada.org/issues/us-canada/phthalates-and-dehp

 

If you are considering purchasing a candle for yourself or a gift, take a look at our paraffin free, lead free cotton wick Peace Candle where each candle sale sends 1 child in the slums of Bangladesh to school.

 

 

 
spiritLeah Quinn